Available now from Rowman & Littlefield, Amazon and wherever books are sold!
South Asian American Experiences in Schools: Brown Voices from the Classroom is about South Asian American experiences in K-12 settings, and is based on the research of Dr. Punita Rice, conducted through Johns Hopkins University’s School of Education.
This book tells the stories of South Asian Americans in K-12 schools, through a look at their perceptions, experiences, and support needs in school, especially in context of teacher cultural proficiency and belief in “the model minority myth” (the perception of Asians as the perfect minority). It mixes stories, quotes, and anecdotes with quantitative research to paint picture of the varied, complex experiences of Brown kids in schools. The book examines existing scholarly and popular literature to offer deeper context, and to provide guidance for how educators, policymakers, and the community might improve experiences for South Asian American, and all students, in increasingly diverse schools.
“…a must-read not only for South Asian American students and educators, but also for anyone who teaches or works in higher education today… has brought crucial attention to the complex realities of being a Brown student in American schools.”
Toddler Weaning has a 4.38 rating on goodreads!
Words on Education
- South Asian American Experiences in Schools: Brown Voices from the Classroom (Available on Amazon, from Rowman & Littlefield, and wherever books are sold)
- The spokesperson phenomenon in the classroom (Education Week)
- Why cultural proficiency for teachers matters (RNZ interview)
- Workplace discrimination against South Asian Americans can be traced back to the classroom (The Aerogram; co-written w/ Ruchika Tulshyan)
- Pronouncing students’ names properly should matter — here’s why (Education Week)
- Teachers don’t know much about South Asian American students (The Aerogram)
- Why research on South Asian American students matters (The Aerogram)
- Thoughts on whether or not education policy is broken (Medium)
- How the technological singularity might impact the world, according to seventh graders (Bullshit.ist)
Words on Culture
- Why “Apu” reflects a problem with American society (The Establishment)
- On the travel ban (The Baltimore Sun)
- The myth of the “model minority” (ISAASE Blog)
- Toddler Weaning: Deciding to Wean your Toddler & Making it Happen (Available from Amazon in paperback, and Kindle, and now as an audiobook)
- The Happy Mom Guide Baby Books (Available on Amazon; more information at HappyMomGuide.com)
- 100 Days of Gratitude Journal (for Happy Mom Guide)
- Everything over at Happy Mom Guide (HappyMomGuide.com)